According to Ayurveda a holistic way of living, chronic pain is caused by doshic (energy) imbalance and is influenced by many factors like diet, digestion, toxin accumulation, stress, exercise levels and daily routine.
Pains in the joints are very common complaints as a person advances in years. More often than not, these joint pains are due to arthritis. There are several kinds of arthritis which may occur in old age. Joint pains are an autoimmune disease, one in which the body attacks itself.
The Ayurvedic name for arthritic joint pains is Sandhi Vata. As the name suggests, it is caused by vitiation of the Vata dosha of the human body. The word Sandhi means ‘Joint’ in Sanskrit. Ayurveda believes that Sandhivata can be caused due to rheumatism, infection, hemophicia, and trauma and even due to digestive problem which result in a buildup of ama (toxins) in the body.
Steps to eliminate chronic pain----
1. Ayurvedic herbalized oil massages helps in loosening impurities that are embedded in tissue and helps liquefy them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination of pain.
2. Creating strong digestion: Incomplete digested foods create toxins and impurities that are eventually absorbed, travel throughout the physiology, localize in tissue and disrupt their functioning leading to a chronic pain which is treated by a proper use of spices and cooking oils.
3. Dietary treatments for joint pains: Ginger and garlic are extremely good for controlling joint pains. All bitter fartes are good for arthritis. Joint pains patient should totally steer away from all kind of sour foods, since these can increase the Vata. Constipation can aggravate the pains. Hence foods that are difficult to digest must be avoided. Foods must not be fried.
4. Balancing nervous system activity: ----- Specific diet, herbs, cleansing programs, meditation, yoga asanas and yoga breathing exercise.
5. Stress Management: Excessive mental, emotional and physical can worsen the symptoms of much chronic pain. Ayurveda treats by herbal warm oil massages and yoga postures.
6. Life style and daily routine : One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms
“Follow a Vata-pacifying daily routine”
Go to bed 10 O’clock and rise before 6 am. Avoid too much stimulating activities at night, such as watching T.V right before bed. Eat your main meal at noon and eat a light, nourishing dinner in the evening, engage in some mild exercise such as walking for half an hour a day, practice Transcendental Meditation(TM) on a regular basis to dissolve stress and calm your mind. All of these things together will soothe Vata dosha and prevent and correct Vata based joint problem. A daily Ayurvedic oil massage is recommended to prevent these kinds of joint problem, because it helps settle Vata-Dosha.